It’s about the time of year where people are thinking about a job change, but then talk themselves out of it because they start to think “well, we’re approaching the holidays, no one hires then."
Every year, without fail, I see jobseekers follow this belief and miss out on potential great opportunities, or stay in a job they dislike for longer than they have to because of following this false below.
Here are 5 reasons that you can keep looking for a new job over the holidays, if you’re in the market (and who isn’t these days):
- It’s not true that all companies stop hiring over the holidays, some may slow down, but some will keep going full steam ahead.
- Some companies want to hire before year’s end to retain headcount or budget for certain roles.
- Some people actually have more time during the holidays than less, so it could be a great time to grab them for an informational interview or networking.
- Because many people still believe the idea that companies stop hiring they will put their jobsearch on hold, meaning there’s less competition for you.
- There’s a lot of demand for a lot of roles right now, companies are desperate to grab great talent, so if that’s you go for it.
Remember that's it's very easy to get swept up in the wealth of free career advice on the internet.
"Do this, don't do that", but at the end of the day your jobsearch is unique. If you're looking for a new job and want to keep looking over the holidays there are plenty of strong reasons to do so. If you want to take some time off and just enjoy a little bit of down time, that's ok too.
Regardless of what you decide to do in your search, do it because you've weighed all the facts, and it's what YOU want to do, not what you think you "should" do.
Ready to kick your jobsearch in gear? Work with one of our coaches.
How to Set Your Out-Of-Office Message for the Holidays and Stick to It