A clear professional brand allows you to control the narrative about your career and shape how your colleagues view you. Admittedly, developing your professional brand can be uncomfortable. Some even shy away from the task because they feel like they are just bolstering their ego, but that’s a mistake when it comes to building a thriving career.
Professional Branding is really about “cultivating respect and enthusiasm for your work”, as stated by Meredith Freeman, author of Brag Better. And, there is no better time than now to start thinking about how you want to show up and be seen in the world.
Start owning your brand, by answering a few of the questions below.
- What impact do you want to be known for?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of?
- What are three of your characteristics, passions, and interests?
- How do the elements above add to your professional story?
- How do you think you’re perceived by others.
Your answers will help you start to understand your strategic advantage and begin crafting your professional narrative.
The Importance of Cultivating Your Professional Story